Point Sur Light Station
Spanish explorers and later New England hide and tallow traders
found the Big Sur coastline a great hazard. Heavy fogs and
extreme winds found caused the wreck of many vessels on this coast.
The Gold Rush of 1849 dramatically increased coastal shipping.
A light house was clearly needed. President Andrew Johnson
signed the executive order which reserved the site for lighthouse
purposes in 1866. Construction began in 1887 and the lamp was lit
on August 1, 1889.
California registered historic landmark No. 951
Plaque placed by the state Department of Parks and Recreation in
cooperation with the Central Coast Lighthouse Keepers.
September 28, 1994
The property has been
placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior